|Agbalumo Gum Balls|
Its true when they say, every thing that has been man made, already exists in Nature...!
Commercial Chewing Gum
Its been long in the history of humans to chew, for various reasons best known to them. Ancient peoples like the Greeks, Mayans and American Indians, chewed all manner of shoots, grasses, barks and tree saps,,,believing that there are some benefits....
|Agblumo Gum Balls|
In some circles, chewing is actually not acceptable and have been banned, this is of course due to the menace they cause (spat out gum stuck on roads and pavements, are unsightly and cost so much to remove). Also the noisy chewing is also considered rude.....but it is believed that chewing gum could have some benefits:
- Chewing can help develop strong teeth and jaws
- Chewing can aid digestion due to the release of digestive enzymes triggered through the act of chewing
- Chewing can help to remove mouth odour because frequent chewing increases the flow of saliva which washes off bacteria in the mouth and limit their activities
- Chewing may support weight loss by tricking the brain to create a feeling of not being hungry
What you need
- Agbalumo (AFrican Star Apples)
What to do
- Scoop out the red, sweet and tangy flesh of the fruit and mince finely, using a chopping board and knife.
- Add some sugar to sweeten and mix well into the minced fruit.
- Then spread the minced fruit on some parchment paper and oven dry (not bake) for a couple of hours.
- When the minced fruit is dried enough to handle, mould into shapes and store in a cool dry corner to further dry out the fruit balls.
- The drier the fruit the gummier it gets.
- Before serving sprinkle some sugar to further sweeten.